Saturday, February 07, 2009

the cake is a lie


I did it. That thing that brides aren't supposed to do for their wedding. I made my own cake. But I have a perfectly valid and sane reason.

My dear husband and I decided that for our low key wedding, ice cream cake would be the perfect thing to cap off the evening. However, I had already ordered these uber cute and extremely well done Wii replicas to surprise my groom with on the day of the wedding. We all know that ice cream cake + warm LA July evening = disaster. So, I had to go to plan B. Fake Cake.

Now, this isn't exactly the most delicious cake you've ever tasted. That is, unless you like the taste of Styrofoam. I bought dummy layers and fondant from Lady Jane's Cakes and embarked on my somewhat watered down version of wedding cake mission.

It was trial and error. I watched videos on Youtube to educate myself quickly. I warmed the fondant through with my fingers, roughly measured out enough coloring to fold into the fondant, used powdered sugar to roll out the fondant. I gingerly placed the fondant over the filed down edges of the Styrofoam to create this cake that almost looks good enough to eat.



In the spirit of all things inedible, I glue-gunned the ribbon and the dragees on that puppy. Might as well, right? What can I say... I'm klassy like that.

No stress, yet still expressive and creative wedding cake - just our style.

**the following is evidence that we did indeed have a real, edible backup cake and didn't serve fondant-covered, glue-gun embellished, trace-metal-containing dragee-enhanced Styrofoam cake at our wedding**

No comments: